Helm Wines of Murrumbateman NSW are renowned for their award winning wines, in particular their quality Rieslings. For sometime they looked for the perfect dish to match with their wines. The answer came when Matthew Helm (Executive Chef at the Wynn Casino in Macau) was home recently. Matthew and Ken went fishing at their property’s private stream and caught a rainbow trout.
Matthew then set about producing a recipe to match the 2018 Helm Classic Dry Riesling. It proved a perfect match – try it yourself. Perhaps you will have to buy a fresh trout, if you don’t have a trout stream handy.
Helm Classic Dry Riesling Poached Rainbow Trout with braised vegetables and herb butter sauce.
What will you need?
INGREDIENTS (serving two adults)
- 1 whole rainbow trout, from the creek (scaled and gutted)
- 40gm Carrot (cleaned peeled and diced into 1cm dice)
- 40gm Broccoli stem and florets mixed (cleaned peeled and diced into 1cm dice)
- 40gm each of Potato and 10 gm Spring onion (cleaned peeled)
- Flat parsley (sliced into juliennes)
- 1 whole lemon
- Helm Classic Dry Riesling 2018
- 100gm chilled Butter (diced)
- Pour a glass of Helm Classic Dry Riesling 2018 for you to indulge.
- Pre heat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Fillet the rainbow trout, debone and trim the fillets, place on a plate and cover, put the fillets in a fridge till needed again.
- Place the bones and head of the trout into a pot of small water and place on the stove.
- Blanch the vegetables and refresh.
- With the extra peelings place into the fish stock and bring to a simmer for 20 minutes, strain and discard the trout and vegetables.
- Place some of the fish stock into a small pan and add some Riesling and reduce until almost the liquid has evaporated, take off the heat and sit the pot on the side.
- Then slowly whisk in the diced butter to emulsifies, taste for seasoning and adjust if needed and add a small amount of lemon juice.
- Take an earth ware dish and lightly butter the inside and place the trout fillets in the dish. Pour over the Riesling till the rainbow trout is just covered.
- Place in the oven for 5 – 8 minutes.
- Heat up the vegetables and season lightly with salt, warm the butter sauce.
- Place the diced vegetables on the middle of the plate using a spoon. Then with a spatula lift the rainbow trout out of the Riesling poaching liquid and place on top of the vegetables.
- Mix in the flat leaf parsley to the butter sauce and spoon around the edge of the vegetables.
- Place the lemon wedges on the side and serve.
Fly Fishing with an old split cane rod in the trout stream at Helm Wines
The fish that day were biting on a Bogong moth dry fly.
The stream at Helm Wines is home to water rats, platypus, and many native flora and fauna species. Helm Wines have a policy of restoring the area to its native state, with the removal of exotic plants replacing them with native species, and protecting the native fauna. Ken Helm’s 20 years at CSIRO in biological research is a sound background for the programme, which is actively pursued by the Helm family.
Thank you Ken for sharing this fantastic recipe with us!
You can purchase the Helm Classic Dry Riesling 2018 from the Helm Wine Cellar door, or online.
Enjoyed Ken’s recipe? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org